Ortho-k is available for patients with the following prescription:
- Spherical spectacle prescription of -5.00D
- Astigmatism of up to -2.50D
Ortho-k is ideal for:
- People who want clear natural vision all day – every day
- Sporty or active people
- Young people – Ortho-k can help to reduce the progression of short sightedness
- People who have considered laser surgery but are worried about the risks
Ortho-k for Children
– A life without limitations!
Ortho-k is fantastic for children, giving them the freedom to enjoy a life without limitations. Numerous studies have also shown that ortho-k can dramatically slow or even stop the progression of short-sightedness.
– Safe, comfortable and effective vision correction
Ortho-k lenses gently reshape the curvature of the eye overnight. The cornea plays a key role in creating a sharp, optical focus. Upon waking, the slight change in cornea curvature is enough to create clear, sharp vision for the duration of the day.
In addition it is believed that the refocusing of light on the peripheral retina can slow down the progression of short-sightedness in children.
Ortho-k has been in use in the UK since 2002, and is only ever fitted by an optical specialist. It is non-invasive, comfortable, effective and safe and has already transformed the lives of thousands of people.
FITTING AND WEARING SCHEDULE
- APPOINTMENT ONE – The optician checks for suitability then accurately measures the contours of the eye. Data is then used to precision engineer lenses for the individual user. If you are a Contact lens wearer please do not come to appointment with contact lenses in for this appointment.
- APPOINTMENT TWO – Lenses are collected, fitted and a further appointment is made for the next morning.
- APPOINTMENT THREE – You will start to have clearer vision even after one night. Your eyes and lenses are checked thoroughly and topographic readings taken.
- APPOINTMENT FOUR – After a few more days vision will be clear and corrected. This check up is to ensure both practitioner and user are totally satisfied with the treatment. Check-ups are then scheduled at similar intervals to those for normal contact lens users.